Key Components That Must Be Checked and Tested On a Printed Circuit Board (PCB)
Any electronic product should be checked and tested even if they’re professionally designed and fabricated as such product tends to malfunctions and create significant problems. Printed circuit boards (PCB) are made of different electrical ingredients that need to be properly functioning. And thus PCB testing is a must to check if all the components are properly working. Having due quality control and assurance all through the designing as well as the manufacturing process is vital, especially in the initial phases. In the designing phase, the board can be checked to analyze any issues and thus minimize the faults. Procedures like Signal Integrity, EMI and Power Integrity help recognizing the issues early on when the designing process is on its way.There are a number of things that must be tested on the PCB and those are as follows:
- Resistors – These are one of the most significant components of a PCB. These small electronic devices produce crucial amount of voltage by the transmission of electrical currents. Test the resistors by isolating them so the outcome doesn’t get skewed by other elements on the board. An analogue meter or digital multimeter can be used to evaluate the results. Just connect the leads from multimeter to the resistor in order to perform the test. If you find the result to be very high, there might be an issue with the open resistor. Other elements on the board typically cause the reading to be decreased. So if there’s a high value, call professional PCB Design Services China.
- Capacitors – These are essential electronic devices to store energy in the form of an electrostatic field. Capacitors feature an insulating material positioned between the conductive plates. While testing capacitor, you need to remove an end of the element from the board. You must ensure that the power supply of DC voltage must match the range of the component to avoid overloading of the device. As voltage is applied to the PCB, the following outcome may be experienced.
- To check whether or not the capacitor has shorted, you need to test if the voltage has been reflected on meter reading.
- To test whether or not the component is leaking, you may see a high jump and then a low drop on meter reading.
- In case, you don’t see any jump in the meter reading as the voltage is applied, the capacitor might be open. The same happens even when the capacitance is very low that the meter can’t register it.
- Diodes – These are electric devices to transmit current in any particular direction while blocking the same in other direction. They consist of semi-conductive material between the terminals. These are extremely sensitive components and thus you must be very careful while checking them. It’s highly recommended that you consult a professional specialized in PCB Assembly China before performing a test on this electrical equipment. To check the diode, you need to disconnect one end of it from the board. You may make use of an analogue or a digital meter to find red and black meter probes. Once you locate the probes, now connect black probe to cathode and red one to the anode. Finally set the meter somewhere between 1 and 10 ohms. And here are the outcomes you can get if there’s an issue with the diode.
- To test whether or not the diode is forward biased, you may see some sort of resistance in the meter reading.
- To locate a leaking diode, you can expect to see two readings in the meter.