Volunteering an Alternative to Earn Some Good Karma
Hasanyone ever wanted to volunteer but worried that he/she didn’t have the time? Are you unable to take a lengthy career break but desperately want to dedicate your time as well as hard work to producing positive change in a community in the country? You may not think that volunteering is possible with a busy schedule or limited funds, but the truth is that great volunteeringopportunities exist for everyone who has the heart and the hands to work.
Reasons behind choosing it
People choose to volunteer forvarious kinds of reasons. For some, it makes a difference to the people around them or offers the chance to give something back to the community. For other people, it provides an opportunity to build on existing experience or develop new skills and knowledge. Regardless of the inspiration, what unites them all is that they find it both challenging as well as rewarding.For some people,volunteering provides an opportunity to:
- give something back to an institution that has impacted on a person’s life, either directly or indirectly
- create a difference in the lives of other people
- help the environment
- help people who are less fortunate or without a voice
- feel valued, also a part of a team
- spend quality time away from busy work schedule or a lifestyle
- gain confidence as well as self-esteem
Volunteering is like seizing the opportunity to travel near and far and give back to communities or environments in need. With some service trips for volunteers, people may become part of an ongoing effort to support long-term solutions to specific challenges. At the same time, they can explore and experience the culture in their free time. The volunteer travel experience starts with choosing what kind of work people want to do and where they want to go. They can support and protect endangered wildlife, children’s education, or build houses and more. When anyone is not working, some organisations are there who encourage them to make the most of their free time.
Volunteering enhances career opportunities
For some people, volunteering can be a route to employment, and/or a chance to try something new which may lead to a career change. From this perspective, volunteering can become a path of:
- gaining new knowledge, skills and experience
- enhancing existing skills and knowledge
- developing a CV
- improving employment prospects of one’s
- gaining an accreditation
- Pro bono or using one’s professional knowledge and skills to benefit others
- meeting new people and also making new friends
- a chance to socialise
- getting to know one’s own local community
Volunteering in India Despitethe rapid economic growth, a large portion of India’s population remains impoverished,also in need of basic human necessities. Almost 70% of the population still has limited access to housing as well as clean water. The people of India also continue to face severe public health challenges, not to mention issues with education, women’s rights, and small business development. Right now, people could volunteer service trips in India to help underprivileged people gain access to better education, human rights, healthcare, and infrastructure.