How to pay Income Tax online and offline using Challan 280?
In India, taxes can be of two types, indirect and direct taxes. The tax paid directly to the government based on your income is direct tax and the tax that is collected by somebody else and paid to the government on your behalf is indirect tax. Direct taxes can be of two types, Income Tax and Corporate Tax.
Every single person, whether he/she is a resident or non-resident, who is earning an income in India is liable to pay income tax.
The income that is earned by you is taxed in the following ways:
- Advance Tax
- Tax Deducted at Source (TDS)
- Self-assessment Taxes
However, if you are making an income from ways that is not informed to your employer and are taxable, such as capital income or interest income, you are liable to pay advance tax.
The form that is needed to pay the income tax online is Challan 280. All details that are required in the form must be filled in order to pay taxes. It is a simple process and helps in saving time. He/she can submit the Challan 280 online if they don’t want to depend on Chartered Accountants or any other sources.
Click here to know more about Challan 280 is used to pay tax on distributed income and profits, advance tax, self-assessment tax, extra charges, etc. Challan 280 can be submitted online or at the respective banks.
Online method to submit Challan 280
A quick and easy way to submit Challan 280 is by doing it online. It is a hassle-free and instant process.
The steps to submit Challan 280 are listed below:
- You will need to visit the official government website (https://www.tin-nsdl.com/).
- You will need to click on ‘Pay Taxes online’.
- By following the above, it will lead you to the next page, which is https://onlineservices.tin.egov-nsdl.com/etaxnew/tdsnontds.jsp. On this page, you must click on ‘CHALLAN NO./ITNS 280’ under the ‘Non-TDS/TCS’ section.
- This will lead you to the Challan 280 page.
- All details such as Tax Applicable, Permanent Account Number, Assessment Year, address, city, state, pin code, email ID, mobile number, type of payment, mode of payment, and captcha must be entered.
- Before submitting, it is vital to check that all information entered is correct.
- After checking the information, you will need to click on ‘Proceed’.
- After clicking on ‘Proceed’, the next page will show all the information that you have entered. Confirming the details entered are correct is vital. Click on ‘Submit to the Bank’ in case all information is correct.
- By following the above step, it will lead you to the bank’s official website. You must enter your log-in details or debit cards details here.
- The next step would be to enter the income tax amount.
- On completing the payment, the tax receipt can be seen on the next page. All details of your payment such as challan serial number, tender date, and Basic Statistical Returns (BSR) code will be available. It is important to have a copy of your receipt.
You will be able to retrieve your tax receipt through your netbanking account in case you have not taken a copy of it the first time.
Offline method to submit Challan 280
By using the below steps, you will be able to submit Challan 280 online:
- Challan 280 can be downloaded from the official government website (https://www.tin-nsdl.com/) or is available at the bank branch.
- All details must be filled on the form. The offline form is similar to the online form. Therefore, all personal details such as Permanent Account number, address, state, city, email ID, mobile number, and type of payment must be entered.
- The payment can be made in the form of cash or cheque and must be submitted at the relevant counter in the bank. Payment by cheque is preferable, as a record of it can be maintained and it can be traced easily as well. The cheque must be made in favour of ‘Income Tax Department’.
- You will receive a receipt from the bank official on submitting the payment and challan.
It can take up to 10 days after the payment date for the details to be reflected on Form 26AS. In case you misplace the receipt, you will need to contact the bank in order to get another copy.
Status of Challan 280
The status of the payment can be checked on the government’s official website. The following steps must be followed in order to check the status of your challan:
- Visit the official website (https://www.tin-nsdl.com/).
- Under the ‘Services’ tab, click on ‘Challan Status inquiry’.
- On the next page, click on ‘CIN Based View’ under ‘For Tax Payers’.
- The BSR code, challan tender date, challan serial number, amount, and captcha must be entered.
- Click on ‘View’, once details are entered. Once you click on view, you can see the status of your payment.
Mistakes that should not be done when paying tax
- When paying tax, make sure that the right assessment year is chosen. Most people make mistakes when choosing the assessment year. For example, for FY18-19, the assessment year would be 2019-2020.
- At the time of paying taxes online, it is important to choose the right code. Different types of tax have different codes. If you choose the wrong code, it will not reflect on the Form 26AS.
Challan 280 can be submitted both online or at the bank. For a quick and hassle-free process, an individual can submit the Challan 280 online. In case the Challan 280 is submitted at the bank it can take up to 5 to 10 days for the status to be updated.